Niçoise Quest — Take One
One of my all-time favourite salads is the Niçoise. If it’s on a menu, I’ll order it and have thus tasted a variety over the years. Don’t remember the best one ever, but the worst one I actually had in Nice, which made it even more of a letdown as my expectations were so high. It’s not often I make it at home, so I thought we’d do something about that. Hopefully the boys won’t mind my experimenting!
First recipe is a blend of Julia Child’s from Mastering the Art of French Cooking (my xx Norwegian edition) and one I found online at SOS Cuisine. Should have used a larger platter as the presentation is a bit messy, but it sure was delicious!
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, cooked, cut in quarters or smaller
- 2 cups green beans, cooked and blanched
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut in quarters or smaller
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, cut in quarters or smaller
- 1/2 red-leaf lettuce, roughly torn
- 2 cans tuna in water, drained
- 7 anchovy filets
- handful of black olives
- classic vinaigrette to taste
Works for dinner, lunch, and can easily be prepared in advance, just put everything together right before serving.
- Drink Pink, a Summer in Provence -- Recipe for Ratatouille - […] my Summer in Provence EatWith dinner, served with cous cous following an appetizer of niçoise salad and prior to…